In the 1860s, Polish immigrants arrived on the east side of Milwaukee on Brady Street. In 1871, a small wooden church was built, St. Hedwig, on the corner of Brady & Humboldt. The church was reconstructed in 1886 into the building we still see today. Across the street was a small cemetery. Many residents in the area worked at the nearby tannery, factories, or in commercial shops along the street. The oldest surviving commercial building on Brady is the “Charles Sikorski” building, constructed in 1875. Today, it is the location of Brady Street Futons.